Meeting the needs of today without sacrificing those of tomorrow.
Since our conception, Delta-Q Technologies has operated by this definition of sustainability—confident that we can drive positive operational change. Our recent transition into a new global head office represents a significant milestone in meeting our zero-emission sustainability goals, and we are excited to provide an insider’s look at our new state-of-the-art facility.
Nestled in the heart of Burnaby, British Columbia (east of Vancouver), we purposefully designed our new headquarters to be a beacon of innovation and collaboration, with features that underscore Delta-Q’s commitment to engineering a greener, sustainable future.
Driving Sustainability from Within
At Delta-Q Technologies, sustainability is not just a buzzword; it is a core principle that permeates every aspect of our operations.
Our commitment to environmental responsibility is woven into the building design and functionality, where eco-conscious choices align with the three pillars of our sustainable development goals:
- Social responsibility – We aim to positively impact sustainable development, starting locally. The relocation to our new headquarters gave us a chance to jumpstart in-house initiatives, such as a full sweep of unused electronics for the purpose of recycling, refurbishment, and donation.
- Reducing our carbon emissions – Our new headquarters plays a significant role in reducing our direct emissions. In addition to environmentally-friendly building design, we have implemented a bank of EV charging stations for our employees who choose electric vehicles for their commutes.
- Reducing carbon emissions around us – We align our company vision and forward-thinking programs with the United Nations Development Programme’s (UNDP) Sustainable Goals. Our aim is to work in partnership with established global objectives, minimizing environmental impacts and promoting a clean-future mindset.
The headquarters transition has allowed us to revamp our facilities from the ground up with these goals in mind, utilizing the latest energy-saving technology. It has also given us an excellent opportunity to inspire sustainability internally through more conducive workspaces.
A Socially Responsible Space for Collaboration and Innovation
Spanning 30,000 square feet over two floors, the building goes beyond the traditional office space. It serves as a dynamic hub for creativity, designed to inspire collaboration. Careful design attention to has been given to:
- Staff amenity area – An expansive space carefully crafted to host all-hands meetings, complete with cutting-edge IT conferencing technologies to enhance accessibility and engagement for all participants.
- Casual flex spaces – Purposefully designed to encourage spontaneous discussions and open thinking, or a quiet refuge for thought and restful pause.
The building’s thematic designs pay homage to the Italian roots of our parent company, the ZAPI GROUP, while embracing our own West Coast origins and incorporating influences from First Nations culture.
Not only do these design choices cultivate a relaxed and open working environment, they lay the foundations for further sustainable initiatives. In this regard, Delta-Q leads by example with the technical aspects of the building itself.
Sustainably Focus of Today: Reducing Carbon Emissions
From first glance, any visitor will immediately notice the transformation of traditional practices into sustainable solutions:
- Gone are the days of traditional gas-powered HVAC systems. We have embraced low-carbon electric heat pumps, dramatically reducing our direct emissions.
- State-of-the-art LED lighting and smart building controls ensure optimal energy consumption without compromising on a well-lit and comfortable workspace. We’ve said goodbye to the days of glaring fluorescent tube light boxes.
- Intelligent LED lighting dynamically adjusts intensity based on natural light inflow, ensuring consistent ambient illumination while conserving energy. Occupancy sensors further enhance efficiency by deactivating lights in unoccupied areas.
- Enhanced insulation not only minimizes waste, it also provides a more comfortable environment for our valued team members.
- Enhanced insulation and smart HVAC building controls not only minimize waste, they also provide a comfortable environment for our valued team members, optimizing HVAC operations based on real-time occupancy and environmental conditions.
- Lastly, each floor features ‘sound-masking’ technology (akin to noise-cancelling headphones), which aims to minimize overall office noise and create a quieter environment.
These investments embody the second of our three-part sustainable development goals, and are a significant landmark in the journey to achieve zero emissions.
Engineered for a Greener Tomorrow
At Delta-Q, our battery charging solutions have played a crucial role in the widespread electrification of industrial equipment, helping reduce over 4 million metric tons of carbon emissions to date.
We are proud of our impact and recognize the importance of continuously striving for more sustainable solutions. To that end, our newly expanded office labs feature the following updates:
- Our battery lab has been expanded to accommodate future growth, enabling us to scale to increasing market demands and continue delivering quality charging solutions.
- Labs have been outfitted with higher power capacity for the testing and development of advanced, high-powered chargers, expanding our opportunities in emerging sectors such as robotics, e-mobility, and last-mile logistic solutions.
- The implementation of innovative bi-directional test equipment captures and reuses electricity that would otherwise go to waste.
- We have implemented four innovative bi-directional test units, cycling a total of 32 battery packs around the clock. These regenerative DC loads recycle energy and waste heat back to the grid, equating to a yearly energy saving of approximately 40 MWh—enough to charge 4 EVs daily.
As Delta-Q continues to grow, we are confident these new facilities will provide us with the necessary room to meet the needs of an all-electric world. By working closely with OEMs, we aim to drive market success while reducing environmental impact, demonstrating that sustainability and business growth can go hand in hand.
Our thoughts so far?
With several months occupying the new space, our employees have come to appreciate the conveniences, comforts, thoughtful design and attention to detail the new building offers. This new chapter of Delta-Q’s growth models our vision of sustainability to the local tech community, our partners and our customers.
For a virtual office tour, watch our video on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbwK9N7Qjlw&t=2s